Serve this up with a side of salad and some crusty bread (or skip the bread!) and you've got yourself a filling, nutritious meal. Yum!
3 medium red potatoes
2 cups water
1 small onion
3 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
crushed red pepper flakes
ground black pepper
3 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup cubed cooked ham (mine was shredded)
1. Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes.
2. Bring water to a boil in a large saucpan. Add poatoes and cook until tender (approx. 20 minutes). Drain, reserving liquid. Set aside potatoes. Measure 1 cup cooking liquid, adding water, if necessary; set aside.
3. Peel and finely chop onion. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion to saucepan; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent and tender, but not brown. (approx. 6-7 minutes)
4. Add flour to saucepan; season with pepper flakes and black pepper to taste. Cook 3-4 minutes. (this will make it into a thick mixture)
5. Gradually add potatoes, reserved 1 cup of cooking liquid, milk and sugar to onion mixture in saucepan; stir well.
Add cheese and ham.
Simmer over low heat 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
6. Serve and enjoy!
This recipe is from a mail order recipe card from www.grandmaskitchenreicpes.com