I found this recipe in Hannaford's May/June issue of Fresh. My husband has lost an amazing 34 pounds on the Atkins diet. He is in phase 4 of that diet, which he & his doctor chose to control his cholesteral. He'd like to lose another 25 pounds and choosing recipes like this one is one way I can show my support.
I found 4 packages of Shady Brook Farm ground turkey marked down @ Hannaford, $2.79 each. I put 3 in the freezer for later use and decided to try my hand with this new recipe.
- 1 cup reduced sodium canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup medium salsa
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice (1/4 of a lime)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 2 thinly sliced scallions, divided
- 1 (20.8 oz.) pkg. 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices of tomatoes
- 4 whole wheat bulkie rolls, split (I really like the density of Rudi's!)
2.) In a medium bowl, mash 1/2 cup of the beans using the back of a spoon or fork. Stir in salsa, lime juice, remaining 1/2 cup beans, and 1 Tbsp. each of the cilantro and scallions. Stir to combine.
3.) In a larger bowl, combine the turkey with the remaining cilantro, scallions, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, cheese, and pepper.
5.) Assemble burgers. Place a lettuce leaf on the bottom of each roll. Top with a tomato slice, a burger patty, a generous 2 Tbsp. of the bean mixture, and then the top half of the roll.
That looks fantastic! :) love the addition of black beans and lime...I am going to try these this week!ReplyDelete
Holy Yum! That looks sooooo good!ReplyDelete
Over on my blog I'm making beans and rice every day this year...this is a recipe I definitely want to try! It looks awesome.ReplyDelete