I found this recipe in Hannaford's May/June issue of Fresh. My husband has lost an amazing 34 pounds on the Atkins diet. He is in phase 4 of that diet, which he & his doctor chose to control his cholesteral. He'd like to lose another 25 pounds and choosing recipes like this one is one way I can show my support.
I found 4 packages of Shady Brook Farm ground turkey marked down @ Hannaford, $2.79 each. I put 3 in the freezer for later use and decided to try my hand with this new recipe.
- 1 cup reduced sodium canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup medium salsa
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice (1/4 of a lime)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 2 thinly sliced scallions, divided
- 1 (20.8 oz.) pkg. 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices of tomatoes
- 4 whole wheat bulkie rolls, split (I really like the density of Rudi's!)
2.) In a medium bowl, mash 1/2 cup of the beans using the back of a spoon or fork. Stir in salsa, lime juice, remaining 1/2 cup beans, and 1 Tbsp. each of the cilantro and scallions. Stir to combine.
3.) In a larger bowl, combine the turkey with the remaining cilantro, scallions, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, cheese, and pepper.
5.) Assemble burgers. Place a lettuce leaf on the bottom of each roll. Top with a tomato slice, a burger patty, a generous 2 Tbsp. of the bean mixture, and then the top half of the roll.